Submitting an application
There are two application procedures depending on the basis of your citizenship.
- If you are a citizen of Lithuania, EU/EEA country, or have a right of permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania or a child, grandchild and great-grandchild of the Diaspora and people of Lithuanian origin and you would like to compete for a state-funded study places, you need to complete an application form of general admission via the website of the Association of Lithuanian Higher Education Institutions LAMA BPO: http://bakalauras.lamabpo.lt/international-and-eu-students/holders-of-foreign-qualifications/. The time to do is between 1st June and 23rd July.
- If you are a citizen of non-EU and non-EEA country and you want to finance your studies independently with your own funds, you should apply directly to the selected Lithuanian university or college. As rule of thumb, admission to studies is carried out in July.
However, foreign citizens planning to study in Lithuania are advised to start application procedure as early as possible due to the fact that document recognition and subject equivalence identification procedures may take up to one month and sometimes longer.
You may need to pass preliminary examinations (if required for selected study programmes). For more detailed information please inquire at the higher education institution of your choice.
You must submit all documents to the selected Higher Education institution before the deadline (check the deadline for particular study programme). Regardless of which Lithuanian higher education institution you select, you will probably need all or some of the following documents:
- a completed application form (each institution has its’ own application form)
- Certificate of Education (Secondary/ Undergraduate degree or other education acquired) including grades* and recognized by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education
- curriculum vitae (Europass) and a letter of motivation
- a copy of your passport, certified by a Commissioner of Oaths
- photographs (3 x 4 cm)
- non-refundable application fee in the amount of 100 Euro, paid in cash or draft check
- financial guarantee documents (bank statement and the Affidavit to cover student’s expenses while studying and living in Lithuania) – originals, notarised and legalised according to international law
- confirmation from Bank that the Applicant has paid tuition fee in advance for one academic year. Tuition fee should be paid when the applicant receives confirmation from ALYTAUS KOLEGIJA University of Applied Sciences about validity of the above mentioned documents together with the amounts of the registration fee, a 6-month accommodation and an annual medical insurance of a student in Lithuania
- a health certificate – for the candidate issued no longer than a month prior the date of application.
* You need to know that all international students must legalise their Education Documents before sending them to a university or college. Documents are subject to legalisation (approved by “Apostille”) if they have been issued in a state having acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention.
Applicants who have received their education in countries which did not accede to the aforementioned Convention must get double document legalisation:
- One from the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your home country;
- The other from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania or the Lithuanian Diplomatic Mission or Consulate in your home country (if the latter are accredited for legalisation procedure).
According to the Law on Higher Education of Lithuania, every person who obtained his/her education in another country and is applying to an educational institution in Lithuania must obtain Legal Recognition of the Qualification.
Confirmation that you have been accepted:
If your documents are correct and your application is successful, within 1-2 months you will receive the acceptance letter and intermediation documents for the Lithuanian Embassy.
• New study year starts yearly on 1st of September
• There might be possibility to start on 1st of February
After you get a visa, plan your trip to Lithuania.
Inform the Enrolment Manager about your arrival dates; if you require a room in the hostel or to discuss other practical things.
Your admission will be confirmed on the signing of the contract for studying with the higher education institution and you will be issued with a Lithuanian student card (https://www.lsp.lt/en ).